"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born - it's an idea, a state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, high school football, country music, and acoustic guitars. It's being hospitable, being devoted to front porches, magnolias, the good Lord, and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way."

12.16.2010

Sausage & Rice Casserole

I used to make this dish more often, but for some reason, I hadn't made it in years. John doesn't remember ever having it, nor do the younger kids. So when I made it this week, the whole family fell in love, and Elayna requested this as her birthday dish next month!
It's easy and delicious!
It contains the Holy Trinity of Southern Cooking - bell peppers, onions, and celery. So you know it's gonna be good.


Sausage & Rice Casserole

2 lbs. ground sausage (mild or spicy)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups rice
2 cups water
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used the kind that contains roasted garlic too)
1 can french onion soup

Brown sausage, celery, onion, and bell pepper in a large sauce pan. Drain grease. In a medium bowl, mix soups, water, and (uncooked) rice until smooth. Add sausage mixture. Pour into a large, lightly greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 for one hour, stirring halfway through.

It's off the chain!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious. Thank you, I am going to try this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE feedback! Please let me know if you try one of my recipes or tips.
xoxo