"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born - it's an idea, a state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, high school football, country music, and acoustic guitars. It's being hospitable, being devoted to front porches, magnolias, the good Lord, and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way."

12.14.2010

Mama's Meatloaf

Mmm, meatloaf. One of those comfort foods that's especially good in the winter.

Growing up, our meatloaf was very plain. Meat, salt & pepper, and ketchup.
I hated it.

But my ex-husband's late mother shared a secret with me. (when she was still alive and we were still married, of course.) She told me that she put pineapple in her meatloaf.
And I nearly gagged. But then I tried her meatloaf, and it was delicious.
And she was not even Southern! She was from Michigan, for crying out loud. But she sure could cook some meatloaf.

So I started experimenting and came up with a meatloaf recipe that I love. The problem is that I don't measure anything, so I'm going to estimate amounts, and you can play with them and make it the way you like it!

Mama's Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 eggs
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 packet of French's Meatloaf Seasoning
1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1/2 cup ketchup
1 small can of crushed pineapple

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with your hands. Yes, it's yucky, but that's just the way you have to do it! Squish it all together, then put it in a 9x13 casserole dish and shape it into a meatloaf shape. I always squirt some ketchup on top in a swirly pattern, too. Then bake for 30-45 minutes, making sure it's done in the center.
It's off the chain!

You just have to make mashed potatoes with this. I recommend Pioneer Woman's recipe.


1 comment:

  1. oooh! I'm going to have to try the pineapple!!

    I make mine with onion soup mix and soy vay very very teriyaki sauce. it adds a little somethin' extra to it. and sometimes the kids ask for cheese in it, but it tends to make it a little too greasy for me :/

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE feedback! Please let me know if you try one of my recipes or tips.
xoxo