"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born - it's an idea, a state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, high school football, country music, and acoustic guitars. It's being hospitable, being devoted to front porches, magnolias, the good Lord, and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way."

1.28.2010

Chicken & Dumplings



Chicken & dumplings. In my family, they are the ultimate comfort food. My chicken and dumplings are easy, and so, very delicious. I've never followed a recipe, but I'll do the best I can to instruct you so that you can experience the pleasure of this amazing dish.

The necessities:
*6-8 chicken thighs (or breasts if you prefer white meat, I am a dark meat girl)
*4 cans of biscuits (cheap, plain biscuits. Do NOT get butter-me-not or anything fancy, they'll stick and burn!!!)
*Nature's Seasons seasoning blend. (I put this on everything, and they are not paying me to say that, but if they'd like to they are welcome to do so!!)
*salt
*2 tbs butter or margarine
*flour





First, you cover your chicken thighs with the Nature's Seasons, then boil them for an hour. Remove them from the water and let them cool. Save that water to boil your dumplings.
While the chicken is boiling, begin your dumpling making. It's great if you have your 16 year old son and 9 year old daughter helping, as I did this past weekend. They make it fun!
Get out your cutting board and pour flour all over it. Then take a canned biscuit and cover it with flour. Roll it out nice and flat, then cut it into about 6-8 pieces. Do this with each biscuit. When they're all rolled out and cut up, drop them into the boiling chicken broth. Add your butter or margarine, more Nature's Seasons, and salt. Stir very frequently, especially at first, or they will stick to the bottom! While they're cooking, take the chicken off of the bone. The dumplings are done when they float to the top of the mixture. Add in the chicken, stir it all up, and you're done!
Serve. Drool. Eat until you are ready to pop!

And be comforted.

4 comments:

  1. Now that sounds wonderful and quick and easy and well you know all the good food/cooking words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Sounds easy enough! I just might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken and dumplings is one of my all time favorite meals..it's the only thing I ever get at Cracker Barrel. I might just have to give it a shot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMO!!! This is the best comfort food ever!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE feedback! Please let me know if you try one of my recipes or tips.
xoxo