"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born - it's an idea, a state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, high school football, country music, and acoustic guitars. It's being hospitable, being devoted to front porches, magnolias, the good Lord, and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way."

6.22.2010

Fresh Berry Cobbler



When we moved into our home, we knew we had blueberry bushes growing in the back, and we were told that they produced well.
We were not told that they actually produce like the world is coming to an end and blueberries were the only thing that would save human kind.
We also didn't know that we had wild blackberry bushes growing all along one side of the fence. Soooo needless to say, we have an abundance of berries right now, and I am looking for things to do with them. I found a cobbler recipe in an old cookbook, tweaked it, and made two delicious cobblers. I brought the blackberry cobbler to work with me two hours ago and there is maybe one large spoonful left! The blueberry cobbler, I left at home to be devoured eaten by me hubby with vanilla ice cream. O.M.G. is it good!
So here is the recipe, which I will probably be using a LOT in the coming weeks!

*note: this recipe is for one cobbler.*
Blackberry or Blueberry Cobbler
½ cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup flour
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
2 cups blackberries or blueberries, washed & drained

Melt butter in 8" square baking dish in 350 degree oven. (I used a round dish for one cobbler. The universe did not explode.) Blend next 6 ingredients in bowl. Pour batter into melted butter. Spoon berries into the center of the batter. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon & sugar. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees until browned.
Serve over vanilla ice cream. Eat until you are ready to POP!

blueberry
blackberry
{Do you think I need to change the stupid date stamp on my camera?}

P.S. I'm giving away FREE CHOCOLATE over at Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional!
Check it out!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta make some jam and some berry bread too! Your cobblers are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow-This looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look wonderful! I have to add this button to my recipe blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh these look delicious.

    there is a cook book called Apples for Jam that has a great cobbler recipe in it. its technically a pear berry cobbler i think, but i use whatever fruit looks like it isnt going to get eaten before turning brown, usually apples, strawberries, pears...its wonderful. i love fruit desserts.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE feedback! Please let me know if you try one of my recipes or tips.
xoxo