I did add chicken since it was our main dish, however it will definitely be a new Meatless Monday dish as well! I also eliminated avocado because I no likee. It's a nice flexible recipe, you can alter it to your tastes.
Its rating: Off the Chain!
- 1 large sweet onion, large dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, large dice
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained (15oz generally)
- 3 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 bag of frozen corn (1lb)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, (28oz)
- 1 box of dried penne (1lb)
- 1 block of sharp cheddar cheese (8oz, eliminate this to make the dish vegan!), cubed
- 4 limes
- 1 TBSP oil (I personally use olive but vegetable is fine)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Start by boiling the water for the pasta, make sure you salt your water VERY well as this is your only chance to really season the pasta. Once your water is boiling like crazy, drop your pasta in, give it a stir, and cook for 8-10min until it’s done but not mushy, still has some texture to it.
In a separate skillet, add the oil, cumin, and the frozen corn. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until the corn is soft and slightly caramelized.
In a large pot, add the beans, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, avocado, garlic, corn/cumin mixture, and diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for around 5-10 minutes, just to heat through.
Dump the cooked pasta and vegetable mixture into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the cubed cheese, the juice of the 4 limes, and any additional salt/pepper that it may need.